In this tutorial you will learn how to breed horses in Minecraft with our video tutorial and step by step instructions.
If you breed Minecraft horses, they make baby horses, also known as foals.
- 1 Available Platforms
- 2 Required To Breed Horses
- 3 Steps To Breeding Horses
- 4 FAQ’s
- 4.1 1. What food do you use to breed horses in Minecraft?
- 4.2 2. How long does it take for horses to breed in Minecraft?
- 4.3 3. Why won’t my horses breed in Minecraft?
- 4.4 4. Can you breed skeleton horses?
- 4.5 5. How does breeding horses work in Minecraft?
- 4.6 6. How do you breed horses in Minecraft Java?
- 4.7 7. What can you do with horses in Minecraft?
- 4.8 8. What is the best way to breed a horse in Minecraft?
- 4.9 9. How do you make a horse in Minecraft have a baby?
- 4.10 10. How do you get horses to mate?
- 5 How To Breed Horses Video Tutorial
- 6 More Minecraft Breeding Tutorials
|Java Edition||Windows, Mac & Linux PC’s||Yes|
|Bedrock Edition||Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, Fire OS, Windows 10 PC’s||Yes|
|Education Edition||Mac, iOs 12, Windows 10 PC’s||Yes|
|PlayStation Edition||PlayStation 3 & 4||Yes|
Required To Breed Horses
What do you need to breed horses in Minecraft? Essentially, you only need two items:
- 2 horses (found in the plains biome or you can use a spawn egg and/or summon them)
- 2 golden apples OR 2 golden enchanted apples OR 2 golden carrots
Steps To Breeding Horses
1. Tame The Horses
You can’t breed wild horses in Minecraft, so we’ll have to tame them first. If you’ve never tamed a horse, check out our tutorial on taming a horse in Minecraft.
Essentially all you have to do is ride the horse repeatedly (you’ll be pushing it all the time) until red hearts appear around it and you stop pushing.
2. Feed The Horses
Once the horses have been tamed and lined up next to each other, it’s time to feed them.
We can feed the horses golden apples, enchanted golden apples or golden carrots. With your favorite food selected on your Quick Access Bar, feed each horse one food at a time. To do this, use the following game controllers:
- Java Edition (PC/Mac), Windows 10 Edition, Education Edition: Right click on the horse one by one.
- Pocket Edition (PE): Tap the horse one by one.
- Xbox 360, Xbox One: Press the LT Button
- PS3, PS4: Press L2 Button
- Wii U, Nintendo Switch: Press the ZL Button
As you feed them, you will notice that red hearts appear on the horses. It’s time to make babies!
The red hearts will soon disappear and a baby horse (or foal) will appear.
Please note that you must wait 5 minutes before attempting to breed the horses again.
And that’s it, you are the proud owner of a new baby horse!
1. What food do you use to breed horses in Minecraft?
To breed horses in Minecraft, you can use 2 golden apples, 2 enchanted golden apples or 2 golden carrots.
2. How long does it take for horses to breed in Minecraft?
It varies, but it only takes a few minutes to first tame horses and then breed them in Minecraft.
3. Why won’t my horses breed in Minecraft?
There are three main reasons why your horses might not breed in Minecraft:
- Both horses have not been tamed. Be sure you tame both horses by repeatedly getting on them until red hearts appear.
- The horses have recently bred. You have to wait 5 minutes before the horses will breed again.
- You are feeding them the wrong food. Be sure you are feeding them both either 2 golden apples, 2 golden enchanted apples, or 2 golden carrots.
4. Can you breed skeleton horses?
No, as of Minecraft 1.16 you can not breed skeleton horses. Nor can they be fed.
5. How does breeding horses work in Minecraft?
To breed horses in Minecraft, you need to feed two nearby tamed horses either a Golden Apple or Golden Carrot each. Shortly after entering “love mode” the horses will mate, producing a foal. This same process works for donkeys as well as horses. Forcing two horses to breed will result in a baby horse.
6. How do you breed horses in Minecraft Java?
To do this, press the ‘use’ button (on Java, RMB) on the horse with nothing in your hand. After a few seconds, the Horse will buck you off. Repeatedly mount it, and once you see heart particle effects, you’ve tamed the Horse. To start breeding, you’ll need two tamed Horses, along with golden apples or golden carrots.
7. What can you do with horses in Minecraft?
Minecraft horses can also climb hills, jump fences, and even swim in shallow water – making your pony pal the best mode of transport to explore. Once tamed, you’ll be able to equip your Minecraft horse with armour and a saddle.
8. What is the best way to breed a horse in Minecraft?
The optimal breeding scheme is that you start with two parent horses and breed them, and if the foal is stronger than the weakest parent horse, replace the weakest parent horse with the foal. Each time a foal is produced counts as “1” breeding attempt, regardless of whether it replaces a parent or is discarded.
9. How do you make a horse in Minecraft have a baby?
Once you’ve got them contained, you can make them enter love mode by feeding them either golden apples or golden carrots. Feed each enough so that hearts appear over their heads. When both horses have hearts they will turn and move toward each other. In a short time, the hearts will disappear and a foal will appear!
10. How do you get horses to mate?
When breeding horses, you can use golden apples, enchanted golden apples or golden carrots, whichever you prefer. In this example, we will breed the horses using two golden apples.