In this tutorial, you will learn how to make a fence in Minecraft. You’ll also learn how to make a fence gate (plus some fencing facts).
A Minecraft fence is useful for keeping things like mobs and animals in or out of an area. Wooden fences can also be used as fuel in a furnace.
So watch the video below and/or follow the step-by-step instructions on how to make fences in Minecraft and start building your own fence today.
- 1 Available Platforms
- 2 Tools & Supplies Needed
- 3 Steps To Make A Fence
- 4 FAQ’s about How To Make A Fence In Minecraft
- 5 How To Make A Fence In Minecraft Video Tutorial
- 6 More Getting Started Tutorials
|Java Edition||Windows, Mac & Linux PC’s||Yes|
|Bedrock Edition||Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, Fire OS, Windows 10 PC’s||Yes|
|Education Edition||Mac, iOs 12, Windows 10 PC’s||Yes|
|PlayStation Edition||PlayStation 3 & 4||Yes|
Tools & Supplies Needed
The items you need to make a fence depend on the type of Minecraft fence you want to make. You can choose between:
- Oak fence: 2 posts and 4 oak planks
- Spruce fence: 2 posts and 4 spruce planks
- Birch fence: 2 posts and 4 birch planks
- Jungle fence: 2 sticks and 4 jungle boards
- Dark oak fence: 2 posts and 4 dark oak planks
- Acacia fence: 2 posts and 4 acacia boards
- Bottom fence of bricks: 2 bottom bricks and 4 bottom brick blocks
If you are building one of the wooden fences from above, make sure that the planks are the same material.
Making a fence gate requires similar items, but instead, we need 4 sticks and 2 wooden planks. For instance:
- Oak fence: 4 posts and 2 oak planks
- Spruce fence: 4 posts and 2 spruce planks
- Birch fence: 4 posts and 2 birch planks
- Jungle fence: 4 sticks and 2 jungle boards
- Dark oak fence: 4 sticks and 2 dark oak planks
- Acacia fence: 4 posts and 2 acacia planks
Steps To Make A Fence
1. Craft A Fence
Open your craft menu and then add 4 matching wooden planks plus 2 sticks for a wooden fence OR 4 lower stone blocks and 2 lower stones for a lower fence.
You need to make sure that the items are placed on the artboard exactly as below.
If you’re making a wooden fence, the recipe is one plate in the first box, stick it in the second box, and then another plate in the third box. Then repeat this pattern in the second row.
To make a lower fence, place a lower brick block in the first box, 1 lower brick in the second box, and then another lower brick block in the third box. Then repeat this pattern in the second row.
Once you see the gate appear in the space on the right, move it to your inventory.
2. Craft The Fence Gate
With your crafting menu still open, now let’s make our door close up! Again, it is important to place the items on the craft menu in the exact order listed below.
Insert a stick into the first box, a wooden plank into the second box, and then a stick into the third box. Repeat for the second row.
Voila! You have a fence. Just move it from the box on the right to your inventory.
3. Build The Fence
With your new fence and gate elements on your quick access bar, it’s time to navigate to an open area to build your fence.
Once you are where you want to build your fence, use the following game controllers to place the fence pieces:
- Java Edition (PC / Mac), Windows 10 Edition, Education Edition: Right click on the block
- Pocket Edition (PE): tap the block
- Xbox 360, Xbox One: Press the LT Button
- PS3, PS4: Press L2 Button
- Wii U, Nintendo Switch: Press the ZL Button
- Once one side of the fence is down, place your cursor on the block next to the fence to start building the other
- side. The fence posts are created automatically.
Continue adding the fence pieces until all four sides are made, leaving one block open (for the gate).
Congratulations, your Minecraft fence and gate are ready!
FAQ’s about How To Make A Fence In Minecraft
1. How do you make a fence open and close in Minecraft?
To open and close a gate gate, place your pointer over the gate and use the following game controls:
- Java edition (PC / Mac): Right click on the gate.
- Pocket Edition (PE) – Knock on the gate.
- Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S: Press the LT button on the controller.
- PS3 and PS4: Press the L2 button on the controller.
- Wii U and Nintendo Switch: Press the ZL button.
- Windows 10 Edition – Right click on the gate.
- Education Edition: Right click on the fence gate.
2. Can villagers jump over fences?
No, villagers cannot jump fences in Minecraft. They also cannot open fence gates.
3. How do you make a white fence in Minecraft?
You cannot make a white fence unchanged in Minecraft. The closest material to a white fence is a birch fence.
4. Can you dye a fence in Minecraft?
No, you cannot paint a fence in Minecraft at this time. Though it has been sent to the game developers as a suggestion.
5. Can zombies break fence gates?
Fence gates are ideal for added protection because zombies cannot open them. Other hostile mobs, such as skeletons and creepers, cannot open fence gates either. The downside to this hack is that villagers can no longer open fence gates.
6. How do you jump fences in Minecraft?
Place a ladder on a wall to easily jump over a fence. Fence gates can be annoying to make and use. A ladder placed on a wall allows you to quickly hop over either side of the fence. This will also still keep mobs in or out as they can’t climb ladders.
How To Make A Fence In Minecraft Video Tutorial
In this video, we will show you how to make a fence in minecraft and use of fence in minecrfat.